Monday 17 January 2011

Final evaluation

1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
My music magazine product uses forms and conventions of real media products throughout it. For example, I have a pretty model for my front cover that is looking directly at the audience. The price and issue number is on the front cover - Almost all magazines have this feature, at some point, on their front cover layout. My music magazine is also giving away a free item, this is a very typical method for magazines to attract their audience, as everybody loves something for free.
My music magazine product also develops these forms and conventions of real media products. For example, the front cover model is the same age of the audience. She is also very similar in style and personality to my audience. She could be an audience member. The colours I have used on my price and issue has the connotation of lust, i.e. lust for the magazine, the price is also larger and clearer than most magazines portray. This is because my magazine does not hide its price, it is proud of it. The free give away is also not given to you straight away, the audience is challenged to get the free item, this makes it more entertaining than just giving it away.
My music magazine then challenges a few of these forms and conventions, for example, my front cover model is not wearing a lot of make up, nor does she have any products in her hair. She is natural, the real her, not a lot of magazines have this these days. I haven't edited her face or photoshopped anything on her, she is completely natural, this image used it the original image. Most magazines these days photoshop all their photos, and they cover their models in make up and hair products. I didn't want to do this because the purpose of my magazine is to encourage girls to be themselves, to find their own style, their own beauty and generally be confident in themselves. My magazine front cover also has no bar code, this is because I decided I would have it on the back as I think it ruins the overall effect of magazine front covers. The bar code is ugly and draws your attention away from the intended eye-catching titles. My free give away is also more useful than make up or nail varnish, which is the typical free-be for girls magazines. My free give away is useful and encourages my audience to write about their festival experiences, it encourages them to be academic.

2. How does your media product represent particular social groups?
My media product doesn't concentrate on any particular social group except females. My magazine represents feminist females as positive, it does this using language such as "be the leading lady of your life," this encourages girls to take control of their own lives and to be themselves. This could lead to some readers thinking that males are bad, but I have tried not to use any negative language towards men, I have simply concentrated on how good females can be, without putting down males. I didn't want my magazine to be for any particular stereotype and so I've tried to keep all my language and images neutral to any social groups. My magazine generally just makes young females look good, this is done by language and camera angles used. None of my images used are threatening or scary and I haven't commented on any negative behaviour of any female stars.

3. What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
I think IPC media would publish my magazine as it would fill their market gap. They don't have a magazine targeted at young women therefore my magazine would appeal to them as it could widen their audience. They have a magazine for young men which encourages and helps boys to become men. This is like the male version of my magazine! My magazine also links to all the other magazines in IPC's female audience market. This is because my magazine includes gossip and advice for my audience. (For more information on IPC and other media institutions see my blue book.)

4. Who would be the audience for your media product?
The audience for for my media product would be all girls between the age of 15 and 21 who like music, want to gain confidence and freedom, they must also be able to afford £2.99 a month. (For more information on my target audience see previous blogs and view my blue book.)

No comments:

Post a Comment