Friday 28 January 2011

Final Evaluation continued

5. How did you attract/ address your audience?
I attracted and addressed my audience in many ways. I used images that would appeal to my audience, such as, attractive boys and girls 'perfect' for my target audience to aspire to be. By perfect I do not mean the best looking, but I mean that they are confident and happy to be themselves, these are the kind of girls I'd want my target audience to aspire to be. The purpose of my magazine is to encourage girls to find themselves perfect. The girls I have used are all naturally beautiful, even without the make up, they are all nice, funny and happy to be themselves. None of my images are airbrushed or changes to make the person look any better, this enables my reader to aspire for real beauty rather than edited beauty.
The language I have used is similar to as if the magazine and reader are close friends sharing the latest gossip. For example, "hottest boys in the music business" the term 'hot' is used often in general girlie conversations to describe people who are attractive. It isn't a formal term, and so the magazine achieves the idea of being chatty and fun by using words similar to 'hot' throughout the magazine. The subjects I chose would appeal to feminists and generally most women this is because it is about good music, aspiring to get somewhere, love and success.
The price I chose is quite cheap for a monthly magazine, this enables more girls to be able to buy my magazine. The magazine is also very neutral to any stereotypes and so a Gothic girl can buy my magazine but so can a preppy, girlie girl.
If I were to sell my magazine widely, I would sell it around area's where there are large amounts of 15-21 year olds. For example, on university campuses, at schools, in shopping and job centers and at festivals. As well as online and in general music magazine stores. This would enable my magazine to be seen and bought easily by its intended audience, there would be no point in selling my magazine in area's where there are few or no 15-21 year olds. Therefore the best way to increase customer demands would be to sell it where my intended audience hang out most. Due to the fact that my magazine is aimed at students, who have exams, want independence and are often acting older than their age, my magazine is tailored to portray itself as the perfect, mature, get away from all the stress of revision etc.

6. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
During the construction of my music magazine, I have learned a lot about technologies to do with media. I have learned the technical names for magazine features, for example, the left third, the rule of three, anecdotes and hyperbole. I have also learned ho to use these features to their best effect in attracting an audience. I have learned to edit photos and layouts of my magazine using Photoshop. Before September 2010, I had only ever used Photoshop once. Now, January 2011, I know how to use it efficiently for example how to use its tools, how to pick and create the perfect font and how to manipulate the images and texts that I have to create a good layout. I have also learned how to read between the lined when analysing media and the definitions of connotation, denotation and representation including how to use them effectively, for example, my title is in blue because the connotation of blue is freedom and calm.

7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
Looking back at my preliminary task, or the school magazine, I have learned a lot in the progression from it to the final music magazine. I have learned that every last detail has to be checked again and again e.g. spelling and layout. I have learned how to link all the content back to the front cover and vise-versa. I have learnt that planning layout and text is very important. I have learned more about actually selling my magazine e.g. publishing house and I have learned how to attract the intended reader directly.
When creating my final task, I had to keep two things in mind at all time: Connotations and denotations. As I wrote my article, pieced together my front cover and even as I was taking my photographs, I had to be exact and concise with what I wanted my images/texts to mean and say to the reader. At time this was very hard, it was hard to think of a way of portraying the message that I wanted, but overall I am pretty happy with my final outcome. The messages my magazine bring are positive and what I intended for them to say in the first place. 
Other things I had to take into account where how fake or real I wanted my magazine to be, therefore, because I chose to have my magazine talk about as real issues as possibly, I was constantly aware of the danger of over editing! If I edited my models too much, then I couldn't continue the idea that you can be perfect without the make up and without the editing. In the end I only cut the photo's I used out and slightly whitened the teeth when they were shown, this is because on photo's they can appeal more yellow than they actually are and its not very attractive or professional to have to look at them/have them on show.

Overall I am very proud of my AS Media work so far. I enjoyed making it all and I have learnt a lot! What I am most proud of is the way the GAP YEAR front cover looks. I am really glad I chose that photo to use as I think its a perfect image for the magazine. It is happy, has two young people (of both genders) and it links to the text in colour and the fact that the two people are embracing links to the main article "Flight or Fight."

Thank you,
Lucy Cunnington

No comments:

Post a Comment